Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Silver Thread Scenic Byway To Lake city



Early morning at San Cristobal Lake

Moving day and it's raining.....again. I had to head into town (South Fork) to pick up my mail and much to my disappointment it had not arrived. The clerk was very nice and advised me how to fill out the proper forms so it would eventually catch up with me down the road. When I got back to camp is was starting to rain harder. I prepared for the grunt up Slumguillion pass and in elevation of 11,500.

As we headed up the road the temperature dropped and I was sure we would get snow. At this point we still weren't sure where we were going to stay. Anyway, the trip over the pass was much easier than anticipated, maybe because we started out at a high elevation and really didn't have that much climbing to do. Do to the rain and lack of pull outs I wasn't able to take pictures on the summit. Also, the summit is rather flat and the trees are in the way and you can't see much. The aspen are turning and becoming more brilliant each day and hopefully, the sun will come out in a few days and I can go back and take some pictures.

It rained heavily all the way to Lake City. We found the turn off to San Cristobal Lake and made our way to Wupperman County Park (it wasn't listed in any of our guide books but was on my Benchmark map) and the perfect site by the lake. Again, we found that because the water had been turned off no fees were going to be charged. Free camping for a few days sounds good! This is a great little park. There are lots of flat sights; some a little tricky if you need to back in, but the views are worth it. We scouted out the visitor center in Lake City and gathered what little information we could find on some good hikes in the area and road conditions for the Alpine Loop which we plan to drive if the roads dry out.

Our campsite at Wupperman County park

San Cristobal Lake

We took a short hike billed as the Lake to Lake. It turned out to more more like Lake to Road. It was a nice little trail that just sort of ended abruptly on the main road. Oh well, at least we got a walk in without being poured on.


No comments:

Post a Comment