Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jeep tour to Telluride



San Juan Mountains from Brooklyn road


September 10

After yesterday's strenuous hike we decided to exercise the Jeep and give our legs and Sadie a rest. This is Jeep country and we would be remiss if we didn't do some 4 wheeling. We had checked with the local info center and got the scope and where to go that wouldn't put us into much peril. If I were going to go Jeeping with a group I wouldn't be so careful. I always worry about flat tires or getting stuck. I don't have a winch nor the experience. We headed out for Brooklyn Pass and then on to Ophir Pass to Telluride. Both roads were rated 2 or 3 out of 5; 5 being hardest. From Telluride it was suggested we take Last Dollar Road out of Telluride. This road proved to be a very maundane dirt road and not really a Jeep road. Nevertheless it was beautiful scenery.

View of the San Juans from Brooklyn Pass Road

Ophir Pass Road


Ophir Road looking towards one lane and the town of Orphir

While in Telluride it rained...which seems to be the pattern these days. Every morning brought beautiful clear sunshine and then rain (not showers) in the afternoon. We had lunch in Telluride and dove up to Bridle Vale Falls. The aspen haven't turned yet but the scenery was gorgeous. This Bridle Vale Falls is a little different than the one in Yosemite National Park. There really isn't any comparison because they are so different..like comparing apples and oranges. We also discovered a really nice little campground right in Telluride which is part of a huge city recreation complex. Its within walking distance to town and has an ice rink, tennis courts, soccer field, baseball field and trail heads. Some of the camp sites are along the river.


Bridle Vale Falls in Telluride


One of the views from Last Dollar road

Tomorrow will be another hiking day. I'm hoping we can have some clear skies with little rain.




No comments:

Post a Comment