Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wow, I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted a new blog. I've been really busy preparing my coach for cold weather (i.e. heat tape, heater functioning properly, and mysterious water leaks) and making sure I have my affairs in order for my hip revision surgery. The doctor told me I'd be "down" for about a month. Interpretation: no total weight baring; dusting up my skills on crutches; and no driving. Ouch.

The surgery went very well on Monday. In addition to replacing the socket liner(some kind of high tech plastic) the ball on the tip of the metal shaft which is part of my femur was replaced with a newer high tech material which is not supposed to wear on the socket liner as badly. With any luck, this will be the last revision I will need. The three hour scheduled surgery only took two hours and the anaesthesiologist opted for a spinal block vs drugs (I was very nervous about this), which allowed me to wake up without the drug hangovers. The biggest issue I had was a bad head ache which I figured out was related to the lack of caffeine prior to the surgery...easily fixed thanks to Peets coffee.

I was let out of jail yesterday afternoon without much fan fare; a prescription for pain killers; a set of crutches; and firm instructions from the doc to actually use to crutches and to let Jeremy and Irene help me. Wahoo! So nice to be back in my own bed.

My son Jeremy, and his girlfriend Irene have been really helpful. Irene is an awesome cook and I feel another ten pounds piling on without much effort. Irene's eight year old little girl, Veronica, has been having a ball entertaining Sadie. In fact, Sadie didn't even care that I was back and preferred to sleep in Veronica's room last night!

I'll return to Truckee in two weeks to get the staples removed and hope to hear that some of the restrictions I need to adhere to for recovery will be removed.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the surgery went well. Get well soon so you can come out and play again. Hope to see you in AZ this winter.

    ReplyDelete