Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ajo Old Time Fiddlers Contest



The Ajo Old Time Fiddlers Contest is an down homestye Ajo tradition. Every year fiddlers meet at the Ajo Country Club...yes Ajo has a golf course, small airstrip, and country club tucked discreetly off the highway. Folks from as far away as Minnisoto come here to compete. I was here last year with the WINS and enjoyed it so much I returned this year. We all drycamp on the driving range which is closed for the event. Camping fees are a whopping $3.00. The is a $5.00 admission fee to see the contestants perform and there is also a dance with music provided by various fiddeling bands.

Last year the driving range was packed. RVs resembled sardines in a can...which are pretty close quarters. Even though I was looking forward to the event I was not looking forward to parking in such close quarters. Well, the economy fixed my fears and the driving range was only have full this year. There was plenty of parking. Unfortuately, that meant there weren't as many contestants either. This year there were only 5 young people completing vs three times that many last year. The young people are what make the show and I was really dissapointed so few showed up.


This was the oldest fiddler..94 years young!


Two youngest fiddlers..Angie and Justin 13 & 12. They were really good!

I was planning to stay and watch the finals, but decided to head down to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument instead and catch up with the rest of the WINs.

We will be leaving in the morning (Monday Feb. 8) for Puerto Penasco,(Rocky Point) Mexico . The town is about 70 miles from the border . So far, there about 17 coaches that will be caravanning down to Puerto Penasco and we plan on boondocking on the beach. We've all purchased the mandatory liability insurance, filled up with water and made sure our holding tanks are empty and stocked up on $1.00 bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment