Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 11, driving to Tok

A few miles past Chicken we hit the smooth bliss of paved roads.  Tok is the focus today and there is no doubt we will make the 70 miles easily.  The were plenty of views and pull outs but it was so cloudy you couldn't see much.

                                        This is all part of the same burn area of 2004 or 2005. Millions of acres burned that year.     

We  pickup the Alcan Highway again in Tok.  There isn't much to do in Tok. It is a good place to get mail forwarded as most services are all on the main street and centrally located. The visitor center is really nice and there are several Alaska gift shops nearby.  Tok is affectionately called the car wash capital of Alaska.  Several gas stations offer free car washes with a fill up, so I took advantage.  (See my previous posting if you want to know why).The gas prices were down to $3.49 a gallon vs $4.50 a gallon in Eagle and Chicken, so I filled up and spent the next hour rinsing the caked mud and grim off of the Jeep and Born Free.  Rinsing didn't do the job and since know one was waiting in line I dug out the bucket,  some soap, and brush and scrubbed both vehicles down.

We found dry camping behind one of the gas stations.  Bill got to talking with an RV er who stays in Tok at this same place every year.  He was parked next to us and suggested a good place to eat dinner a few blocks down the road.  We all decided to walk to the restaurant since some of the clouds had dispersed and the sun was starting to shine.  As we were finishing dinner it started to rain...really hard.  So much  for my clean car and coach. Liz was determined she wasn't going to walk back in the rain and was going to find out if she could get a cab to come pick us up.  Right!  Like there would be a taxi cab in this small town.  To make a long story short, our RV neighbor  was wandering around the restaurant looking for us. He had driven down to the restaurant to look for us so he could give us a ride back. We were all so thankful.  The rain was really coming down and it was cold. There are some really great people in this world, and I'll always remember that RVer as one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment