Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 3, on to Chitina via back over the Richardson to the Edgerton


Wow! No fog this morning!  Maybe we should stay another day?  No, we will continue as “sort of planned” and head to Chitina which is the last town on the paved road to the Wrangell-St. Elias (WSE) National Park which is less than 100 miles.   
The clouds cleared so it took awhile to make our way to Chitina as Nancy and I stopped and lingered at the awesome views.  





Thompson Lake at Thompson summit on the Richardson on the way to Chitina


             The pass overlooks the valley and river.

We arrived at Chitina and went to the visitor center to determine the road condition into McCarthy, which is the first town in WSE. The road actually ends before McCarthy and you have to take a footbridge over the river into McCarthy.  The Lokina bridge had been damaged and only certain vehicles were being allowed during the day and we had heard the bridge was closed at night.  The person at the visitor center confirmed that we would not be able to take our RV over the bridge (mile marker 44) into McCarthy and that the bridge was open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00p.m..  We decided that it would be OK to spend the night at the Copper River Campground and drive to McCarthy in the Morning. 

The Copper River Campground fronts on the Copper River.  It is a popular fishing spot and the Ahtna natives are allowed to set their fish wheels in the river.  It is quite a site as you come over the Chitina Bridge and see the "settlement" and fish wheels. 



  


No comments:

Post a Comment