Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 6, on to Tok with side trip

We left Chitina early in the morning to head to the Wrangell-St Elias visitor center and meet up with Liz and Bill.  We watched a movie about the park which peaked our interest about the other road into the park, which was on the way to Tok.  We decided it would be a worth while side trip.  
After gassing up in Glennallen, we headed out on the Tok Cut-off towards the Nabesna Road, which ends at an old mine.
We parked the RVs on a gravel pull out on the road,  unhooked the Jeep and piled in for the 40 mile dirt road into the park.  

There were lots of rest stops and primitive camping a long the road, as well a many hiking trail heads.  



Views of the mountains.  That isn't snow on the mountain tops.


We stopped and watch some Dall sheep on these hills.  We counted at least nine.   They were too far away to get a good picture.

We had been warned we might have to make some creek crossings, and with all of the rain, I was a little worried we might have to turn around before the end of the road.  We only ran into one creek that was running and no problems going through it.  Bill took pictures with his camera and if he shares them with me I'll post them.

We didn't go all the way to the mine.  The road becomes a private, very narrow, unmaintained road and it was getting late. The drive was not as spectacular as the Old Denali Highway, and very different from the McCarthy road, but it was worth the time and satisfied our curiosity.  It is definitely not a road for larger RVs, and a high clearance vehicle is preferable.

We didn’t get back to the RVs until late but it was still day light and didn't want to spend the night at the gravel pull out, so we hooked up and headed back out to the highway to park at an overlook  at mile post 54 for the night.  


View from the overlook



Tomorrow we will attempt the 65 mile drive to Tok.  I'm sure we'll be able to drive the distance in one day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment