Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

August 29-31, Smithers to Prince George


On Sunday we left Prince Rupert and headed on to Smithers with only a few stops along the way.  We could have stopped in “the Hazeltons” as the three small cities of Hazelton are called, but our research determined the sites to be more of the same First Nations Heritage Culture. .  
We arrived in Smithers at the campground that Liz had arranged to meet her car driver and determined her car and driver had not arrived yet.  I decided that If I was going to dry camp for the night I would prefer dry camping in a parking lot rather than pay fee for a quick overnight.  
Nancy and I left Liz at Smithers and headed for Prince George the next morning.   There are lots of cute little towns along the way, but very few pull outs, and not much to see.  

One little town (I don't remember the name) claim to fame was the largest fly fishing rod:




I did note Burns Lake had a flower Volkswagen parked by the city sign, but there was no place to stop or turn around. The road to Prince George is a good one, but the traffic has increased substantially from the rural roads I had been driving on.  
Nancy and I arrived at Prince George, a decision point for me..to continue east towards Saskatchewan and visit friends or go south and return to the states? It was raining and the forecast looked like rain towards the south so I decided to head east.  I really could use some some sun.  
So.. Prince George is the last stop on my Alaska adventure.  Someone said the best part of the adventure is getting there, and I will concur.  British Columbia and the Yukon Territory deserve a lot more exploration, and I feel I only scratched the surface in seeing a Alaska.  Its been a good adventure and I know I will return someday.  


Prince George also had "flower cars" but this one was a flower truck.  Some of the flowers had started to fade..signs that summer is almost over. 

2 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful journey. Thanks so much for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me more about the flower truck. Is that a moving vehicle? How do they plant flowers on a car or truck? Do you think it would work for a vegetable garden? I'm amazed! Email me at delicious@usa.com
    Thanks,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete