Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

More meandering January 28-February 4

                                           Quartzsite  morning view from the Big House .

Sunday we left Quartzite for Goodyear.  Joel had been battling a cold for several days and just didn't feel up to traveling before that. .  We made one last trip to the "Big Tent" to make sure there wasn't any thing we couldn't live with out.  Actually, Joel needed a different hitch so he could attach the bikes to the back of the motor home and still get the car shield on for storage when the car was disconnected.

                              The parking lot wasn't too full on Sunday.  You can see how big the Big Tent is.
                  It's much easier to have the bikes on the back of the motor home rather than the car.  But if we need them on the car it's easy to switch the bike rake and put the bikes on the back of the car.

I was recently asked what I do about fresh water when we run low. Moving the coach to get fresh water is a hassle.   The Big House holds about 80 plus gallons of water.  The black water and grey water holding tanks have a capacity of 50 gallons each. Its obvious the fresh water runs out before the tanks need dumping.  I have a big bladder which holds about 30 gallons of water which fits in the back of the car.   I fill up the bladder with fresh water and then pump it into the fresh water tank.  Joel also has a larger bladder and follows the same procedure.  Last time there was water left over in his bladder and we put my bladder on the ground and pumped the left over fresh water into it for use later.  In this way we are usually able to go about 2 weeks or longer without moving to fill or dump.
                                         This is my smaller bladder, not completely full. When empty, the bladder folds up into an neat little size.  Joel's is much larger, but takes up more space when empty.

Joel hooks up the axillary pump to the bladder and then pumps the water into the fresh water holding tank. It only takes a few minutes.

We arrived  in Goodyear (near Phoenix area)  and stayed at the Moose Lodge which is within walking distance to a major shopping area (a little retail therapy never hurts). The wind was terrible and the Big House rocked and rolled all night long. ( I remember getting stuck in the area last year about this time when I was on my way to Tucson when there were heavy winds and the highway was closed.)  The main reason for going to Goodyear was that it was sort of on the way to Ajo (our next destination) and we needed to go to Cottonwood (north of Phoenix) to check out my Born Free and shuffle some stuff around. Joel also needed to get the oil changed in the car.  Its a good thing we didn't have any fun stuff planned because it was really cold. I think the high was 44.  Cottonwood was even colder.

Wednesday we headed for Ajo where the Old Time Fiddler's contest is held.  The wind was up again but finally died down about the time we arrived but sheeeze it was cold!  Joel had a doctor's appointment in Tucson, Thursday morning, so we were up early so we could leave by 8:30.  We woke up to 26 degree temperatures.  Burrrrr.  Joel was up on the roof setting up the panels so the batteries could get completely charged.  It was obvious with the cold that the heater was going to be working overtime.

Joel had an ultrasound (aka known as an Echo) of his heart and the technician indicated there were no signs of him ever having a heart attack.  Yeah!!!! The VA hospital in Tucson has been really cooperative with our roving life style, although I don't think they completely comprehend it.  When we arrived at the hospital, Joel was told the tech was out sick and the appointment had been rescheduled for MARCH.  We explained we had just driven 125 miles and didn't plan to be in Arizona in March.  The receptionist made several frantic phone calls and was able to squeeze Joel in at the appointed time.  So far, that is how everything has worked at this VA hospital.  I have heard so many negative things in the past about the VA hospitals, but so far it hasn't proved true for the SAVAHS.

It was cold in Tuscon, even colder than Ajo so we headed back to the Big House rather than staying and touring more of the area. We will be returning later in in the month anyway. Yesterday morning, we woke up to 15 degrees at the Dennison County Park were we are dry camping with the Boondockers.  The sun was out but this type of cold weather reminds of Truckee.  I called my son Conlan, in Tierra Amerillo, NM, and he said it was -20 (yes minus) and they were in a state of emergency.  So I guess I should count my blessing.  I noticed several rigs pulling out  in the morning.  My guess is that they were going to find an RV park with hook ups.  I know that is what I would be doing be if I were in my little Class C with no basement heat.

We plan to be in Ajo through the weekend, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment