Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thousand Trails, Columbus Tx, April 22-26

From Austin we drove through the country towards the little town of Columbus.  We pulled into the Thousand Trails campground on the Colorado River...not THE Colorado River of Utah and Colorado but the Colorado River of Texas.  We picked a site right on the river much to the chagrin of the Ranger.  He couldn't understand why we wouldn't camp on one of the perfectly level concrete slaps away from the river, close to the showers and club house, near all of the weekenders and kids. He didn't know us very well.  Rarely do we use the club house or showers and being far away from those coveted amenities is just fine with us. The river was soothing and the views comforting.
 View of our site and the river

There was a very large herd of deer that meandered through the park after the weekend.


Joel spent most of his time getting a few projects done, while I spent time recuperating from a cold.  We did find time to take  a long day trip to Livingston to visit the Escapee Park and Care Center and for Joel to pick up mail.

The Escapee Park in Livingston is the "Flagship" park and headquarters of the Escapee RV Club.  The  Care center is for Escapee (SKP) members who are recuperating from surgery or an illness and need assistance.  Volunteer care providers provide meals, some personal care, transportation, and housekeeping services to member RVers in their RV for a nominal fee.  I was really impressed with how organized and clean the facilities were. I hope I never have the opportunity to use this service, but if I do, I know I will be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment