Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cooperstown, July 27-28

Cooperstown, NY is a delightful little village, abet a little busy.  We hit the baseball hall of fame post weekend so there were lots of baseball fans and tourists.  Our group had obtained permission from the Chamber of Commerce to park in one of the Trolley lots.  The parking in town is horrendous so there are several free parking lots located around the outskirts of the downtown area and the Trolley shuttle tourists in to town for a small fee for $2.00 ( hop on and off all day).

We parked in the Yellow Trolley parking lot which turned out to be quite nice.  The lot is located within a few minutes walk to Lake Otsego and the Cooperstown Golf Course and next to the Finemore Art Museum.

I did walk by the Baseball hall of Fame but didn't go through the museum.
 Doubleday Field is named after Abner Doubleday who is thought to have first developed the scheme of baseball in the 1800's.

 The trolley shuttles tourists from the parking lots to downtown.  It is a very convenient and efficient way to see downtown Cooperstown.
 Lake Otsego
 This is part of the Finemore Museum of Art.  It is a reproduction of an Iroquois hut.

 Dug out canoe just laying on the shore of the lake. I think it was part of the museum exhibit.
 This road was just a short distance from the trolley parking. It was a nice place to walk in the early morning and early evening.
 I even saw a fox.  Apparent the fox come into town and hunt small domestic cats and dogs.
 He wasn't that far away and he just kept watch on us as we walked.
I thought this was a cool bronze sculpture near the Doubleday Field.
 Even though Cooperstown was a big tourist area, I was really impressed with this little village.  You can walk almost everywhere in town, and the folks are real friendly.  The town is clean and the old homes are interesting.  We walked into town both mornings before the businesses were open and enjoyed the little village in its early morning quiet state.

The sega of my camera repair continues.  Unfortunately it didn't get sent out in time to arrive at Cooperstown, even though we stayed in extra day.  Joel didn't mind waiting around one more day.  It gave him a chance to fix the satellite dish that has been acting up since we left Jefferson, Ohio and it gave me a chance to catch up on paperwork and blogs.   Anyway, we didn't live Cooperstown until late morning on Thursday (had to wait for the mail) and headed for Rutland, Vermont, our next stop.  The Rutland postal employee was great and agreed to forward my camera it to our stop in upper Vermont where we will be about August 1, in a few days.

It took almost 6 hours to drive approximately 150 miles.  The further north one goes the more windy the roads become.  We took Highway 80 north from Cooperstown  which is very narrow and windy, but beautiful. I could feel the increase in altitude and the decrease in humidity...a good feeling.

We'll be in Rutland just a few days before we head up near Marshfield, Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment