Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Manchester, NH August 8


Frank Lloyd Wright homes always fascinate me and I was happy to learn there were two examples of FLW on the same street. The picture below is an example of Unsonian Classic.  It's also referred to as the Zimmerman house.
The two pictures below are examples of Unsonian Automatic, and this home is currently occupied by Dr. Toufic Kalil of Manchester, N.N.

Usonian is an acronym for United States of North American, reflecting Wrights desire to design a house for the common people.  These houses were built in the '50s with the idea of building an affordable "no frills" type house while maintaining a since of privacy and using space wisely.  The Usonian Classic has been compared to a motor coach because of its galley style kitchen and linear flowing rooms.  FLW was expanding on his prairie house design to make an efficient, compact, and affordable house. The Unisonian Automatic refers to the Usonian style houses constructed of modular concrete blocks, an inexpensive material, without ornamental details.

We continued to downtown Manchester, very typical of New England cities, and walked around for a bit.  Manchester's claim to fame is the largest arena  New Hampshire, the "Verizon Wireless Arena".

No comments:

Post a Comment