Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Friday, February 3, 2012

January 24 ...

When I last posted, I was enjoying the great January weather in Reno and on the California central coast.  Well, all things must come to an end.   I had made a quick trip to Pacific Grove to visit mom and the blue skies lulled me into believing it was spring. The morning after I returned I woke up to Rio looking forlornly out the window ( No, I didn't get a dog...this is Jeremy's dog )....



To a dumping of heavy white snow.
 Even Mt Rose received snow.  What a difference a few days can make.


Tromping through the snow,  loading suit cases in the car at 5:00 A.M. (no picnic but the end result was worth it ), I caught a flight to Orlando to meet up with Joel.  The passengers let out cheers as we landed to evening temperatures of  77 degrees.  I'm thinking to myself "maybe I don't need all two suite cases of clothes with these balmy temperatures".

I spent two nights at the Claremont Thousand Trails getting reacquainted with the "Big House", Joel, and enjoying the warm weather.  One day Joel and I explored the old town of Kissimmee.  I'm still getting back into the groove and forgot to take pictures of some of the wonderful sculptures along the main street.

We headed for the Crystal River area to catch up with some WIN friends who were parked at the local Moose Lodge in Lacanto.   The Crystal River area is known for clear waters and a manatee sanctuary. Saturday we launched our Kayaks in the river and headed over to the sanctuary to see the manatees. There were swarms of kayakers so  we returned on Monday, when it wasn't so crowded.  I dawned the mask and snorkel and swam with the manatee.  These creatures are mesmerizing.  Joel also used the mask and snorkel and he was like a little kid as he played in the water.  (In my haste to leave Portola, I forgot the waterproof camera case to my camera so I couldn't take any underwater pictures).

Joel eventually got all the way in the water, getting his shorts and shirt wet, which made for  cold kayaking back to the take out.



Some of the small fish in the Three Sisters Spring.

There is a section of the river roped off allowing the manatee to sleep in peace. The brown blob is one of the  manatees. They swim freely from the pool to the river.  Divers and kayakers are not allowed to go beyond the ropes.
Lots of folks venture out in wetsuits, snorkels, and masks to view the manatee.
The water is really clear.  These are all manatee sleeping in the roped off section.
We meandered up and round the river to three sisters springs.
We also meandered around the river and up along the different canals behind the residential area. Along the way I saw this interesting bottle tree.
This crane and I had a staring contest.  He eventually flew off.



Cedar Key is just down the road a ways, and was suppose to be another good kayaking area, so we drove there one day to check it out.  The tides were way out and it wasn't feasible to put in without slogging through the mud.  We did explore the little town of Cedar Key and watched the locals fish from the docks.  The pelicans cast a watchful eye waiting for free bait i.e. lunch.







This guy, didn't budge the whole time we were on the dock.  I almost tripped over him.  I guess he had staked out his sunny territory for the day.




This part of Florida is a lot different than the areas around Orlando and farther south.  The towns are smaller and more rural and the people a lot more friendly. We explored the area while I looked for an old clunker bicycle.  There are lots of bike paths to ride in Florida including flat level Rails to Trails paths.  I found a beach cruiser with no gears and coaster brakes...my thinking is without gears I'd have to work a little harder and Joel wouldn't have to work so hard to  could keep up with me....(I have a habit of getting on the bicycle and just cruise along in my "zen" mode).

The next stop will be a little farther north and west as we explore some of the beach areas along the Gulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment