Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Cape Kiwanda, Pacific City and Tillamook- August 27

Wow, were we ever luck to get the perfect site while at the Pacific City Thousand Trails campground.  The Beaver had the perfect viewpoint and was located a very short walk to the beautiful beach and Cape Kiwanda.  I'm a sucker for beach walking  and smelling the salt air.  The weather was perfect for a short stroll towards the cape...even in the early morning before the misty marine layer had cleared.

Looking south towards Cape Kiwanda and Hay Stack Rock.  Hay Stack rock is what is called a sea stack and common along the Oregon coast.  This rock has the same name as the one located on the popular Canon Beach.



Towards the cape we found some unusual shaped rocks.  My camera is a little crooked on this one.



The mist cleared and we sat and watched the waves come in through the arch.
Joel found time to relax.

There is a huge sand dune which connects Cape Kiwanda to land and is challenging me to hike over it to find out what is on the other side... another day and  more on that in a later post.

Enough on the beaches, but there will be more.  On our way back to the camp I saw this perfect spider web.
We headed out to explore a little of the coast.  This is looking up the Nestucca River from Pacific City.
 Three Rocks along the Three Capes Scenic Drive looking north. We didn't take the whole drive this time.
 We stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and sampled lots of cheese...
 and watched them package the blocks of cheese for distribution.
The workers all had shirts on with different sayings:
"All You Need Is Loaf" and "Loaf Thy Neighbor".  You get the idea?





 Look at those humongous blocks ready for the agin process!

The observation area windows had some sort of yellow film on the windows, which is why the pictures are all yellow.  The tours are now self guided, so you can watch as long as you want.  The samples of cheese are free, but there were no free samples of ice cream.(:

 We explored the little town of Tillamook and found this unique place to rest:



A fun day with lots more to come.

Check back for more beach photos and some hikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment