Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Petroglyph National Monument and more, April 21

The Petroglyph National Monument is estimated to have over 25,000 images through out the monument.  Rinconada Canyon, Boca Negra Canyon, and the Volcanoes are three distinct sections of the Monument all minutes from Albuquerque.  Riconada Canyon offers a 2.2 mile loop exploring a narrow canyon.  Many of the petroglyphs are within a few feet of the trail and easy to spot.  The weather turned out to be perfect for a short hike. I had walked this loop several years ago but remembered it being really warm then.




Next I drove over to the volcano section.  What makes the area unique is a series of volcanoes lined up perfectly in a row near the middle of the Rio Grande Rift Valley.  Trails link several of the volcanoes making for some nice hiking.  JA Volcano is the first one you see from the parking lot and the hike to the top offers panoramic views of Albuquerque and the Sandia Mountains.  JA Volcano I hiked over Black Volcano loop and part of the Vulcan Loop.  There are no petroglyphs in this part of the park , at least that I could see.


View from JA Volcano looking out over the Rio Grande Valley towards Black Volcano


From the Volcanoes, I jumped on I-40 which turns into the old Route 66 and Old Albuquerque.  The last time I was here it was late in the day.(.maybe even a Sunday) and all of the shops were closed. There are lots of shops full of artisan wares... just waiting for tourist to part with their money.

The entrance to Old Town
 Look at all the new growth on this cactus.


Tomorrow we are off to Santa Fe for a day trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment