Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Silverton, Colorado, September 23, 2015

Durango was the next stop and we arrived around lunch time. Durango has several nice RV parks but at $47-$60 per site it is simply doesn't make sense to stay in a "resort" when we are not going to be there during the day. We checked out the Fairgrounds and it appeared to be the perfect place for an overnight stay. Hook ups were also available.  When we checked with the office we were told that the park was  full.  We explained we didn't need hookups, and would like to dry camp,  but we were told no dry camping was allowed and reservations were a must these days.  (This information was totally contrary to what our sources indicated) Well, there is a Walmart.

Walmart had signage everywhere stating no overnight parking but there were other RVs parked in the lot.  It doesn't hurt to ask so I spoke with Customer Service. At this point it was raining hard and I explained we didn't feel comfortable drive any further in the rain.  Customer Service Ok'd parking towards the back.

We settled in and then made a quick trip to the Historic District and a quick dinner.  Durango looks like a fascinating old town.  The Historic District is full of upscale stores and eateries and appears very clean.  If it hadn't been pouring rain, we would have spent more time exploring the old district.

The next morning  we moved the Beaver to the visitor center parking, and  headed out for a day trip to Silverton in the tow vehicle.  Up until now the aspen had just started to turn, but on the way to Silverton and in the town of Silverton, the fall colors were at peak performance.





Yep, the colors are real and not photo shopped.

Silverton is an old mining town with lots of charm, but one of it's main attractions is the narrow gage railroad which travels from Durango.  The train leaves Durango in the morning and stops in Silverton around lunch time for two hours before returning to Durango.  We arrived in Silverton just after the train arrived and before it left again.  The streets were busy with tourists, but I expected it to be much more crowed.

Silverton. Note the Durango Silverton train at the bottom of the picture.



The colors of the trees were brilliant


Silverton is known for extreme skiing.  Note just some of the runs on the ski hill
A short drive out of town brings you to  Eureka Mine. The road to the mines is part of the Alpine Loop which is a favorite with the Jeepsters and ATVers.  I'm pretty sure I took my Jeep on part of the Alpine Loop several years ago and if my memory serves me, the road is not to bad.
More dramatic scenery in the mining district, including a water fall.
 One of the old mines. Note the car of 60's or 70's genre at the bottom of the picture.

More interesting scenery.




Next stop about 60 miles down the road at Pagosa Springs Colorado.


No comments:

Post a Comment