Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Samuel H Boardman State Scenic Corridor and more, November 14, 2015

The Samuel H Boardman State Scenic Corridor is a 12 mile-long park along Highway 101 with lots of waysides and access to the Oregon Coast Trail. The park starts only a few miles north of Harris Beach Campground ( just north of Brookings) where we are staying.

Our fist stop was Thunder Rock Cove and Secret Beach. Its a short mile or so hike down to the beach and to Beach Falls.  We discovered, that it is best to go at low tide, and we were at mid-high tide so could not explore the beaches.






I'm not sure of the name of the creek that runs down to the beach, but it is beautiful
 and the Falls aren't too bad either!




Walking down the trail is like walking in a rain forest.  Everything is green and lush and.... wet.


We continued north to Caspian Point, high on the mountain with long vista views of the Pacific Ocean.  Looking south
 Looking north

It was really windy and cold at the top, so we didn't stay too long.  There is a trail, very steep trail, that goes down to some beautiful beaches, but what goes down must come up, and the "coming up" deterred us from exploring farther.

Continuing north we stopped at Arch Rock.  I was mesmerized as I watched the waves crash through the arch.  Its a good thing my camera is digital because if I was using film I would have gone through at least two or three rolls of film.



We traveled a little farther north and caught the Rogue River out of Gold Beach and followed the road east exploring  a few campgrounds in the area.  I saw a sign for the Myrtle Tree Trail.  Myrtlewood is a popular wood in Oregon for making bowls, jewelry, carvings etc. It is beautiful wood that polishes to a marble like finish.  I was curious about the trail so drove up to the trail head.   It turned out the trail ended at what may be the oldest and largest Myrtle Tree.


 The Myrtle Tree is very resilient as shown by this tree which has fallen, but the branches continued to grow.

Well, this is just a sampling of all the beautiful sites along this part of the coast.  Pretty impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment