Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Cache la Poudre River -North Park and Scenic Byway , May 3, 2016

The Cache la Poudre river runs through Ft Collin and we traveled on Highway 287 outside of Ft Collins to Highway 14, known as the Cache La Poudre  Scenic By Way which follows along the Cache la Poudre Canyon.  This is one curvey and steep drive  and it is something Joel would have never attempted in the 40 foot Beaver and I probably would have struggled driving my Born Free with car in tow.  He is finding there is a whole different RV world out there traveling in the Airstream Trailer.

The Cache la Poudre River Canyon is steep and rugged and the river is one of the few federal designated wild and scenic rivers.  The drive follows the rugged canyon and tops out at Cameron Pass with spectacular views of North Park.  The drive continues as North Park to the little town of Walden.  

We breezed through this tunnel.


Steep and rugged canyon walls along the Cache la Poudre River Canyon.



A stop at a beautiful little picnic area and a chance for Tara to swim in the crystal clear waters.  The water was really cold, so she didn't stay in it too long.

These bighorn sheep  were licking salt along the road.  They still have their heavy winter coats on.



 Cache la Poudre falls.  


 At the bottom of Cameron Pass looking back

 This was the only moose we saw.  It greeted us at the visitor center at the bottom of Cameron Pass.

We continued on down to Walden located in a vast bowl shape known as North Park surrounded Rabbit Ears, Never Summer mountains. 

Vistas from our overnight spot at the Kiosk at Walden.  


No comments:

Post a Comment