Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Family and Friends

August 20-24

Wow it has been some time since I have posted a blog. Lots of catching up to do. I have had limited internet and cell service for the past few weeks. (excuses, excuses) After the garage sale I headed down to Pacific Grove (PG as us native Pagrovians call it) to rendezvous with 6 of my childhood pals/classmates. This was a special gathering in that this year would be our ??th class reunion ( can't give the exact figure as I would be revealing too much) and no one wanted to step up and organize it.

Anyway, it was great to see the gang: Linda, Bonnie, Marion, Kitty, Nell and Jennifer. Here is a little history of the group. Bonnie came all the way from Pennsylvania to visit Linda who lives in Sacramento. Bonnie and Linda lived across the street from each other all through school. Linda and I were born on the same day and in the same hospital just a few hours apart. So, we have know each other most of our lives. Kitty (who is professionally know as Kathryn) lived just up the street from me and we started Kindergarten together and have been friends ever since. She was one of the few that had a car in high school. Nell (who also goes by Kathryn in the business world) just bought a house in PG and is planning on retiring there. Nell and I used to battle it out on the basket ball court in PE and her most found memory of me is breaking her glasses... not on purpose. Marion and I were in the youth group together and I was in awe of her when she graduated from high school and left her parents house and moved into an apartment. I thought she was so grown up and sophisticated. Jennifer and I have been close friends since high school. She was my maid of honor at my wedding and we have spent many an hour on the phone together when times were tough. Our kids grew up together. Jennifer and I are often mistaken as sisters.Hmm. I write all of this, because I find in todays world so few people have such strong ties to old friends. I am so blessed to have grown up in a small town and have been able to stay connected to such great people.

The few days spent in PG was not all partying with friends. My youngest niece Jenifer is having her second child soon, and her sister Kristina threw her a nice baby shower. Mom and I drove to San Jose to partake in the festivities. Kristina worked very hard putting on a fabulous brunch for Jenifer's friends and family. (Jenifer's name really is spelled with only one n). It's always a treat for me to see my nieces and grand nieces and grand nephews. I don't have any grand children of my own....yet. I wish my sons would hurry up and get busy!

After all of the festivities, I unhooked my motor home from the Monterey Fairgrounds and headed south. I digress here, and complain a little. The Monterey Peninsula is probably the most unfriendly RV place I have been. RV parks are limited. The fairgrounds cost $40.00 to park on asphalt next to the airport. You can stay at Marina Dunes for $65.00 and butt up against the freeway. You can stay in Carmel Valley squeezed in a site like a sardine for $65.00. Or, you can camp out a Laguna Seca for $35.00 a night after driving up a 15% grade and then listen to the drone of race cars most of the day. Get the picture? Very expensive. Not all RV owners are rich!

Next stop: Frazier Park









No comments:

Post a Comment