Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Frazier Park

August 24-September 3

Frazier Park you say. Where in the blazes is Frazier Park and why would anyone want to go there? Well Frazier Park as less than an hour south of Bakersfield and about 1 1/2 north of Los Angeles right off I-5. The Mt Pinos area of the Los Padres National Forest borders Frazier Park and surrounding areas. Its close to lots of stuff, but not too close. This is country.. big time. There are lots of mountains and jeep trails and country to explore. Frazier Park itself is an old mountain community where the "city folk" used to come for the weekend.

The real reason for my visit was to spy on John and see how he was doing and to tag along for a few days while he whipped a few of his properties into shape in preparation for new tenants. (I left before the the task was totally completed). I can say John is keeping busy (too much so) and is doing OK but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

One of the more beautiful areas of Frazier Park is Lockwood Valley, where John keeps his motor home. It's hidden away and maintains the country folk ways: no paved roads; no high fences; lots of chickens; lots of waving as you drive down the street;no cell phones;no cable TV. Did I mention lots of country.

The area around Lockwood Valley was ravished and badly scared two years ago by the Day fire. The once forested hills are bare with only skeletons of trees poking up from the ground. Never the less, its still a beautiful area. During my visit I hiked around Lockwood Creek in the middle of the Day fire and marveled at the new growth that is starting to present itself. It will be some time before the trees completely return, but there is evidence the hills are on the mend. I wished I had taken my camera on the hikes to document the new growth with the idea of returning in the future to compare.

Next: I'm off to parts of Colorado to do a little exploring in the high country and capture some spectacular images of Fall colors....I hope.








No comments:

Post a Comment