Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Martinez Lake



Friday, I ventured from Wellton to Martinez Lake. This is not a long trip, maybe 40 miles or so. The WINS sometimes take baby steps and some really don't like to travel too many miles at a time. After all, we like to stop and smell the roses since we are retired and don't have much else to do! Martinez Lake is part of a wild life refuge area and contains lots of marshes and coves. There is an abundance of hiking and exploring if you're not into kayaking. Its really a nice place and I would love to go back and spend more time. Would you believe I didn't get any pictures of the the water and marina...

On Saturday a few of us went over to the visitor center and met two of the volunteers who took us on on a short hike called the Painted Desert. The theme was the adaptability of the desert. Although the area looks lifeless and baron, it is just the opposite.We learned how plants go dormant and look dead only to spring to life when the rains come as well as about the desert varnish on the rocks. (Again, if forgot to take some pictures of the varnished rocks. Chalk it up to senior moments lol)


Painted Desert trail head



Chocolate Mountains in California



There are flowers in the desert even in January


You can even find hoodoos this far south


The heavy rains from November have turned the trees green in the arroyo.


Later on Saturday we went over to the military campground to listen to our own Linda Wheeler perform classics form such artists as Patsy Cline and Neomi Judd, just to name a few. Also Bob played his banjo. Bob has an interesting history in that he is actually a fine art painter and doesn't paint at all anymore. He took up some string instruments a few years ago and hasn't stopped learning and playing since.

Bob is playing on the banjo which he recently took up





Linda is singling to James a song called Grandpa. Doesn't James make a great grandpa?

Sunday was suppose to be a kayaking day. However, I opted to do a little more exploring and the rest of the WINS went dancing. Since my visit was so short, I figured I could go dancing any time and decided to explore some of the washes and vista points. My intent was to drive out to the Red Cloud Mine on the Red Cloud Road. It is definitely a 4X4 road in places. I decided not to go too far out by myself as I didn't see a soul for 20 or so miles. I got to thinking that if something happened it would be a long hike back. The drive as far as I went was worth it, although the pictures really don't do justice.


The terrain really looks lunar. Not much around







Where's the water??

I arrived in Quartzsite yesterday. The WINS will be here for two weeks. So far there are a lot of activities planned, including kayaking, hiking, dancing, and of course the RV show, just to name of few. WIN members are arriving everyday as this is the main gathering event. I was here last year and at one point I think there were over 100 members attending. We all gather out on Plomosa Road just north of Quartzsite on BLM land. Our group is just one of many that have congregated in the area. It's dry camping (boon docking) so most of us have solar panels and/or generators and can be self sustaining for a week or so without getting water or dumping. I'm not big on generators(I have solar) and tend to use my generator for important stuff like running the hair dryer, microwave, and air conditioning. If you do need water or sewer dumping, trucks come around for a fee and can supply water to your rig and provide septic service if needed. Some rigs spend the whole winter in the area and don't move! Stay tuned for more on Quartzsite in future posts.


1 comment:

  1. It's great to read blogs and see pictures of those that are "freed from the world of work." Thanks for sharing... Cheryl (WIN #2845)

    ReplyDelete