Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson



                                  Peace Valley north of Dawson City

The skies weren't perfect this morning but at least there was no wet stuff or white stuff falling from them.  We were back on the road again.

Everything I've read about the Alaskan highway warns about the many curves and steep grades,  the loose gravel, and pot holes.  Although I encountered a few curves and a few steep grades  today the road conditions were perfect. There was no loose gravel and very few pot holes to speak of.  Maybe there is worse stuff to come, but so far so good.  Many sections of the Alaskan Highway have been straightened out and leveled out.  We drove on one section today that used to have dozens of curves and now it is pretty straight. The infamous Suicide Hill is no longer.  In fact we were looking for it and blitzed right on by.  We also wanted to stop by Charlie Lake but again we missed the markers because they had not been put on the revised part of the highway.
                                  There is a curve on the horizon, but this is pretty straight.


The scenery was spectacular.  The area around Dawson Creek is fairly flat the farther north we went the more trees and hills we saw.

                                 You can see tree for miles and miles and miles.

Of course the highlight of the day was seeing a black bear. I took this picture through the windshield of my RV. I was afraid if I got out Sadie would scare him away.  The bear was very nonchalant about the motor running.  Didn't seem to bother him at all.



We were going to stay at the city center park in Fort Nelson, but there was a" no overnight parking" sign at the entrance so we checked out the visitor center which is located in the Elks Club building.  We were granted permission to park in the parking lot for the evening by one of the visitor center personnel who just happened to be there getting ready for the grand opening.  The center doesn't open until June 6.  This seems pretty typical.  We are finding things are just opening up or will open after this weekend.  

I will remember Fort Nelson in that I paid the equivalent of $4.58 per gallon for gas here. Yikes!!! Our mileage today was 286.

1 comment:

  1. I did a roadtrip around Alaska in 1999---we ran into very high gas prices then too..we found the gas stations were few and far between...we drove the pipeline hwy which is all gravel but we wanted to camp at the artic circle and that was the only way for us to get there. Enjoy your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete