Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

May 24 Fort Nelson to just past Toad River

Internet access and cell phone access continues to be a problem and in most cases non existent.  So blog postings are going to be few and far between and when I do have internet I'll probably post a bunch at a time.  Also when there is intenet access it is s l o  w.  Slower than old fashion dial up at home.

Before we left Ft Nelson I discovered we were parked right across from the Historical 300 Mile Marker. It gets really confusing here because there is a Historical Mile Marker, a regular mile marker due to the road constantly being upgraded and a kilometer marker.  The Mile Post gives both mile marker and kilometer maker but they aren't always correct.




Today our goal was to make it to Liard Hot Springs and stay at the Provincial Park.  It was a day full of beautiful scenery with few places to pull off the road.

 We stopped at the Teslin Lodge and Campground for cinnamon buns.   They were huge but I managed to eat the whole thing.
Yummmm


Teslin Lodge area was also the sight for the laundry facilities when the road was being built.  This is one of the Historical Markers across from the lodge.


We stopped at Summit Lake and talked with the camp ground host. (They are called campground operators here). She was very informative and really wanted us to stay overnight , but the timing wasn't right and besides the lake was still frozen.  Brrrr.

                                           Stone Mountain

We continued on and stopped at Toad River Lodge.  Then decided to  unhooked Liz's car and drive back up the highway so we could take pictures.  There wasn't a place to pull over in the Motor Homes and Nancy really wanted to go back and we wanted to see if we could see some sheep.

                                           There are thousands and thousands of hats.  I forget the exact number


Our trip back up the mountain paid off because we saw a herd of carabou and


Stone sheep

We also saw beaver dams


These are just a few of the pictures of the mountains I took along the way:




We returned back to Toad River Lodge and the drove a little further down the road to a very nice pull out where we spent the night.  I should say it was very nice after we picked up  nearly four garbage bags full of trash.  We just chalked it up as a way of paying for our campsite.  Apparently the site was an unofficial pull out because there was no garbage receptacle.  Most pull outs and rest areas have litter barrels.

The next morning I got up and saw a beautiful blue sky



You can see our RVs at the bottom of the picture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment