Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

May 29, On to Whitehorse, Yukon



This morning we headed out to our first stop at Johnson's Crossing, with cinnamon buns in mind.  Our literature claimed that Johnson's Crossing had world famous cinnamon buns.  The compound was under new ownership and just getting organized for the season, so it seemed.  The cinnamon buns were good but not the same as those at Teslin lodge.  I'm sure they were not freshly made, but warmed up in the oven.  They were not as gooey and were much smaller then the ones at Teslin Lodge, and not worth taking a picture. My vote is still for the Teslin Lodge cinnamon buns.

So far the roads have been excellent,  and at least in my opinion.  I'm used to driving I-80 from Truckee to Sacramento which is full of pot holes and a very rough road, windy, mountain road.  Today we did hit a long stretch of gravel dirt road. Yes, this is a windshield photo.  Don't do it!  That's Liz's RV in the dust.
Liz loves to look at wildlife, so we stop frequently to observe.  Today, she notes there was a rare black Arctic squirrel that would be found only along our route.  We stopped and sure enough saw him sitting on the rock, just waiting for us. Yes, he is real!

Liz wanted to go to Swan Haven, which is a stop over place for migrating swans of all kinds.  The brochures stated the haven was open from April 1 to May, and we assumed the haven would be open through May.  When we go there we found out the signs should have said April 1 to May 1.  All of the swans had left.  We traveled down a dirt lane to get there only to find out there was not a turn around big enough for Bill's rig.  He had to unhook in order to turn around.  Liz and I had no problem even though we were towing.  This a good lesson in the advantages of having a rig smaller than 30 ft.

                                              Swan Haven


 This is a bat box.  There are small openings on the bottom for the bats to enter and exit. I bet if we could have seen a bat he would have been very healthy.  There is a very large mosquito population here, and they are huge!

We stopped at the head waters of the Yukon and hiked up to the overlook.  This was a very nice rest stop with a good boat launch.

                                          The head waters of the Yukon and Marsh area

There was no free camping available in Whitehorse so we opted to stay at Pioneer RV park.  Liz was ready for power.  It had been very warm and in anticipation of leaving Sadie for hours in the RV I opted for hook ups so I could have air conditioning.  What is interesting is that the camp sites were offered a la carte.  They had 30 and 20 amp service at different prices or you could dry camp at the site for less which included water and cable, and you could mix and match. These sites were in the trees.  If you wanted full hook ups including sewer that was a different price down near the highway on a dirt parking lot with no trees.  Also, if you didn't want any service you could dry camp in a flat, dry, dusty parking area on top where commercial buses were stored. There was a huge control board in the office and the clerk would just switch the power on or off and chose which amperage.

We were assured there was wifi and that some of the sites in the trees would have a good signal.  It turned out this was not the case and I had to go to the club house to get any wifi at all which was painfully slow.  I tried to up load photos to my blog and each photo was taking a minimum of 5 minutes and sometimes I was kicked off the system.

The other amenity that we were looking for was laundry, which the park offered.  The dryers were different than anything I have ever used.  They were steam dryers and they actually dried your clothes in the advertised time: 24 minutes for $2.00.

I should mention that the US dollar and Canadian Loonie are even exchange.  I didn't change a lot of money while in the States and so far haven't had any problem using US dollars as payment.  Most folks seem happy to receive our tourist dollars no matter what form they are in.  I have found they prefer Visa or MasterCard and do not except American Express in most places.

No comments:

Post a Comment