Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

May 28, Teslin

This morning the group decided they would walk with me to see the beaver.  I warned them I usually walk Sadie around 6:30 A.M.  Liz normally doesn't even get up until 7:00! Well, everyone was up and we went down where I saw the beaver yesterday and I guess he decided there were too many of us because he never showed up for our party! It was a beautiful morning and we got an early start.

We stopped at Rancheria Falls and followed the trail to the falls.  Its not very far and there is a nice boardwalk so it is a vary easy walk.

The Mile Post proclaimed that Dawson's Peak Lodge was known for its rhubarb pie so we stopped there after lunch hoping to get some.  Rhubarb wasn't ready yet so we had bumble berry pie which is a combination of berry, apple and rhubarb.  Not bad, but not as good has rhubarb.  The lodge is really a neat place not far from Whitehorse, so there are lots of weekenders in during the summer season.
                                           Dawson Peaks
We learned the difference between a Province and Territory.  The Yukon doesn't have the population to generate enough taxes to support the government so it is subsidized by the Canadian government. A Providence such as BC has enough population to generation enough taxes for services.  This would explain why the road in BC are better than in the Yukon and why the libraries in the Yukon were so small and in BC so big.  It could also explain why the visitor centers in the Yukon are bigger and nicer..they want tourists who may stay, spend money, and be taxed.

We also crossed the continental divide.  All we saw was a plaque.  I was sure there should have been a marker of some sort but I never found one.

We continued towards Teslin crossing the BC and Yukon borders at least seven times (I think).  Teslin has the longest bridge span on the Alcan.  We camped at the Totem Pole which used to be a gift shop and is now a bank.  The bank agent said there was no problem with us camping there for the night.

There is a First Nation Heritage Museum I wanted to see, but it didn't open until June 1.  We may be back this way later, so maybe I will be able to see it then. There is a stuffed animal museum across from the Totem Pole..There are some animals, but it is mostly a gift shop.

                                Teslin Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment