Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 19, Homer

Dense fog and rain greeted me this morning.  It is getting to be a bit of a drag. Nancy and  I walked down the Spit and did a little window shopping.  There are lots of trendy shops as well as fish processors and charter fishing businesses.

  I wanted to find a fish market and buy some fresh fish and there didn't seem to be any fresh fish for sale.  Some of the stores had "fresh" frozen fish, but no fresh fish so I stopped and talked with a lady at a fish processor.  A fish processor cleans and cuts the fish from the charter boats as well as the commercial boats.  They supply the restaurants with fresh fish and ship frozen fish home for the fisherman from the charters.  Most fish processors don't sell fresh fish because "no one wants to deal with it". I guess the folks catching fish on the charter boats don't want to haul the fish around so they have it processed and flash frozen and shipped home.  However, the lady told me I could purchase some fresh fish at her establishment.  Mystery solved.  I haven't purchased any yet.  I want to make sure I can cook it the same day I purchased it.

If you have ever watched the television show "The Most Deadly Catch" then you are familiar with the Time Bandit.  There is a whole store devoted to Time Bandit souvenirs.


Later in the day we played tourist and drove out East End Road, noted as one of the scenic drives.  The day cleared up some, but most of the mountain tops were still obscured by the clouds.


Kachemak Bay

The end of the bay
This is one of the glaciers Kachemak Bay State Park


The Spit is the narrow strip of land.  We are parked about in the middle of the Spit.

1 comment:

  1. WOW so cool to see Homer and the Spit!! Im an avid Sue Henry fan, she writes mystery novels and her character Maxy's home base is in Homer, Alaska. The character usually heads to the lower 48 in winter with her dog Stretch in her Motor home, and some of the mysteries take place while she is traveling..SO anyways book reviews withstanding--what an adventure you guys have been having so much gorgeous scenery. Homer is really grand!

    ReplyDelete