Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On to Homer, July 18




After having sun for a few days, it was pretty disappointing to hear it raining when I woke up in the morning.  Before leaving the Hidden Lakes campground I walked Burney's Trail part of the way. (so much for getting an early start) The trail is dedicated to a young researcher who died at a very young age.  His research involved the relationship between lynx and snowshoe rabbits in the Kenai Wildlife Refuge, particularly in the Hidden Lakes area.  The snowshoe rabbits are pray to the lynx.

When I returned to camp the group had already left.  We previously agreed to meet at the Fred Meyers Store after filling the RV tanks with fresh water.  I found an advertisement in the Mile Post indicating fresh water at one of the gas stations so I decided to fill up there.  It was a good thing, because by the time I got to Fred Meyers there was a line for the dump and water and huge traffic jams.  So...if you are planning to visit  the Fred Meyer store in Soldotna be prepared.

The drive down to Homer was rainy and visibility was really poor.  (Where have you heard that before). The views of Cooks Inlet alluded us due to the foul weather.  We didn't pull off once to take pictures.  This has got to be a record for this group!



This is the view of the Spit as you come into Homer, taken the next day. The Spit is the very narrow strip of land going out to the bay.

We arrived in Homer and made a bee line for the Spit and find the city campground.  I think they have tried  (and failed) to model the campground after Seward.  It is not as nice nor is it as organized.  I grumbled about the $15.00 a night a Seward, for dry camping, but I really grumbled about the $15.00 a night here and threatened to go stay at the Elks.  We'll see.

The Spit is geared towards fishing and trendy shops.  Halibut fishing is the main draw here.  There are fish cleaning stations throughout the Spit and every other business is a charter fishing business.  Homer is much bigger than Seward and has some beautiful areas though. The views of Kachemak Bay and mountains are stunning...what we could see of them.


View of the mountains across the street from our camp site

The mountains on one side of the Spit are called the "ring of fire" because there is at least one active volcano.  The picture is part of that area.

The small boat harbor on the Spit, looking towards Kachemak Bay

The Spit is also the home of the Salty Dawg Saloon.  It's a building that has been pieced together and is a popular watering hole.  The inside is lined with autographed one dollar bills.  It was really smokey when I went in there so I didn't even bother to take a picture. People that have been to Homer alway say you should go to see the Salty Dawg Saloon..so I've been there and can check that off my list.

We are in halibut country, so after getting settled we went to dinner at Captain Patties for a halibut dinner.  For $25.00 I was served a huge piece of halibut that melted in my mouth, salad, and rice.  Tomorrow is another day I hope the rain lets up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment