Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

July 27, Glenn Highway to Richardson Highway

The Glenn Highway from Palmer to the junction of the Richardson Highway is beautiful.  There are views of the Matanuska Glacier which is huge.  I think it is 28 miles long and 4 or 5 miles wide.  One can actually drive to it and hike on it, but we didn’t.  We stopped at the rest area which over looks the glacier and walked the short loop which provides great views.  

On the loop I saw my first (in the wild) porcupine.  He was meandering down the path.  I was really glad that I had obeyed the rules and had kept Sadie on a leash.  She wasn’t sure what this creature was.  I had to shoo him away and he finally ambled down the trail and up a tree but not after puffing out all of his quills.  






The Richardson Highway from the junction is a lousy road.  Our speed dropped down to 35-40 miles per hour so we didn’t make it all the way to the Denali Highway as planned.  
                  Sheep Mountain 

We had driven over 200 miles and only had about 30 more miles to go but Liz and Bill were done for the day so we camped at Paxon Lake.  Its a beautiful lake and has a lot of “pull throughs” so we didn’t have to unhook the cars. 

                     Paxon Lake


We'll head on to the Denali Highway in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment