Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

July 28, Richardson Highway to Old Denali Highway






The road from Paxson Lake  was much better and not as bumpy until we got to the Denali Highway and then it was really bumpy again. The Denali Highway is paved until Tangle Lakes, where it turns into a good, graded, dirt road.  The drive from Paxson Lake to Tangle Lakes was only about 35 miles so we arrived mid-morning with no problem.  The campground is almost like dispersed camping, only with picnic tables and fire rings.  Due to all of the rain the area was really muddy and full of large puddles..  It took several hours to figure out were to set up so we wouldn’t get stuck if there was more rain. 

                                           Tangle Lakes Campground

Finally, after parking Bill, Nancy and I headed out on the Old Denali Highway towards the Gap Lake Trail Head to hike up to Gap Lake.  The trail guides stated the trail was multi use for bikes, ATV, and  hiking which appealed to us because it would be wide enough that we would be hiking through brush and get wet.  The trail was very muddy and full of large mud puddles which required us detouring through the tundra. The day was misty, rainy, and sunny..which made the 3 mile hike to the lake  interesting as well as beautiful.    We only saw one other person on the trail.  



The lake is out towards the gap


Gap Lake

It was just a "little" muddy.



Tangle Lakes from a great trail above the campground. 


No comments:

Post a Comment