Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Farm

As promised, here are some pictures of the "Farm".

This is the "Farm Yard".  It's all grass which keeps the dust down.  The house and out buildings are on about 10 acres of land.  That a lot of grass to mow.  


I'm parked behind the house with all of the comforts of home.  



 This is the combine, the main machine of the farm.  It picks up the swaths of wheat, canola, or flax, and "chews" it up and spits the straw out the back and separates the seeds  and chutes them into the hopper.
 These are swaths of canola.  Usually the fields are straight cut, but this year due to all of the rain the crop is cut and raked into rows and combined later. The canola has sat since August waiting to be combined.
 Look at the control panel.  You have to be really good at programing and working the combine.
One of the fields behind the farm.  It has been combined and will be ready for reseeding next spring. The straw from the combine acts as much and the land will be direct seeded with a different crop in the spring. The fields are not burned here. 



 This is the view out the front window.  Pretty cool. The morning lights are gorgeous and this picture just doesn't do it justice.
 Once the combine hopper is loaded then the grain is loaded into a big grain truck and hauled to the bins on the farm.  The Auger pushes the grain up to the bin..  I always wondered how they got the grain in the bins.
 This is winter wheat.
 There are some spectacular sunset through the trees.  The trees make a great buffer for the wind.

This is my favorite, a 4X4 giant tractor.  It is used to pull the combine out when stuck, which has happened a lot this year due to all of the rain.  I even learned to drive this one.  The gears are a little hard, but what power!



Harvest is almost done and I should be heading back to the states in another week or so.  The nights are getting colder and the days are still sunny but cooler...winter is not too far off so I need to head out before the snow flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment