Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

More on the Slabs...The Tanks, the Turd House and more





 The water tanks loom on the horizon. The Wheel of Kama has been painted by a WIN member Tom.  I've posted just a few of the tamer  segments.  They are pretty graphic and may be offensive to some. There are many, many more.



 .

 The Turd house.  Someone actually lives here.  Yes, it is a sewer tank.


 On a lighter note there is was (is) a golf course, including flags and clubs.





The LOW (Loner's On Wheels) and WIN parking area.  My rig is near the right of the picture.

While at the slabs we took a short side trip up to Bombay Beach on the shores of the Salton Sea.  Some time ago a major flood wiped out most of the shore line and the government has now bull dozed a huge berm along the shore to protect the town.



The Salton Sea.  The water is very brackish.  Don't think I'll be putting my kayak in it anytime soon.
 Remnants from the flood.


Not much clean up has been attempted.  These homes were right on the beach.  Now there is a huge earthen berm (seawall) between them and the sea.

I had a very fun time at the Slabs and a few days vs a week was plenty time.  One of the fun things we did was star gazing.  One night we through tarps on the ground and dug out our sleeping bags and watched the crystal clear night sky and stars.  The sky is so clear I felt like I could reach up and touch the stars.  Within a few moments I saw at least three shooting stars.

I left the slabs a few days early.  One of the air bags on my suspension system is not inflating and so I headed to Yuma to get it fixed.  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment