Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Snyder Hill, Tuscon December 14-22


It seems like every winter I end up at Snyder Hill near Tucson for a few days.  Snyder Hill is a nice little patch of BLM land just off the Ajo Highway in the South Tucson area.  Its fairly quiet and provides a great access to Saguaro National Park and surrounding areas.  This year there did not seem to be as my RVs as there usually are.  Maybe be that is because I am here in December which is a little earlier than normal for me.

The sunrises are spectacular.


View from Snyder Hill  looking down on my little house and Joel's big house in the early morning.

One day Joel and I hiked up Romaro Canyon in  Catalina Park.  We hiked all the way up the canyon but did not hike down to the pools because it was too late in the afternoon. I was afraid it would be dark before we got back to the car.  The days are just too short this time of year.

                                  This looks like a forest, but only with cactus.


  The moon was already out on our way down the trail.


Another day we went and visited the San Xavier Mission.  I had visited the mission  last year, but it is so beautiful it is worth visiting more than once.





    The interior of the mission is stunning.  Much has been painstakingly restored.  The detail and colors are magnificent.

There is some rally nice hiking just down the road from Snyder Hill out of the Diamond J RV park and we explored some of the trails.

                                     This palo verde  caught my eye as we were walking.  The afternoon light makes it look like it is on fire.

  Joel kept his appointment at the VA hospital for a followup visit.  I was extremely impressed at the level of care provided and cooperation of the doctors and staff to accommodate Joel's roving life style.  Joel had to return for a stress test the next week and the staff and doctor at the clinic worked hard to schedule the stress test to co inside with the doctors appointment on the same day. Usually the test is done and the follow up doctor's appointment is weeks later.  According to the doctor, Joel did well on the stress test and is at a low risk for an another episode.

I'm going to tag a long with Joel and head a little north of Phoenix  for Christmas and am looking forward to exploring some new country.

No comments:

Post a Comment