Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A little bit about Ajo

                                               The Ajo Museum

When I mention I'm going to stay in Ajo, I get puzzled looks and queries:  Where is Ajo?  It's a small little village about 60 miles from the Mexican boarder, which has been in existence prior to the 1800's.  Today it is a mecca for a few snowbirds and retirees.  The winter temperatures generally are in the high 60's-high 70's.  There area is not crowded, but the town's folks are quite civil minded and active.  The town hosts the annual Old Time Fiddler's contest, quilt shows, art tours just to name a few.    I have attended  to the fiddlers contest for the past two years but this year I chose to explore the town of Ajo a little bit more.

The main economy of Ajo until the 1980's was the Phelps Dodge  cooper mine.  The mine pulled millions of tons of copper ore out for processing.   In fact, a whole mountain was displaced.  Where there were three mountain peaks there are now two.

                                           Phelps Dodge Mine

                                          There is a great vista point  to see the old mine.


                                          Copper was shipped in these slabs weighing about 700 lbs.


                                         The containers tilts to either side for unloading.



One of the old rock crushers

                                            The sign says it all about the wagon below.



                                         Old batteries.  They are very large compared to today's.  



There was plenty of water to mine copper but strict environmental controls  made it too expensive to continue mining so the mine shut down in 1982.  Somehow, the little town of Ajo continues to grow and thrive mostly due to the winter snowbirds and it's proximity to the boarder.  There is a new border patrol complex being built outside of town and  it looks like it will serve many more boarder patrolman. (our tax dollars at work!)  The Organ Pipe National Monument is just a few miles south and the Cabeza Prieta NWR draws hikers and back packers. Ajo, also borders the Tohono O'dham Indian nation, one of the largest Indian nations in the south west. Ajo is a great place to visit for a few days and decompress.

From Ajo, we traveled to Casa Grande for the week long WIN annual Dance Rally.  We'll be here until the 14th and from here ....?

No comments:

Post a Comment