Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 4-5 Guadalupe National Park


We left Carlsbad in the morning  and crossed into Texas heading for Guadalupe National Park.  It has been years since I have set foot in Texas...since criss crossing the country for work and little time to stop and smell the roses. We plan on spending the rest of March and part of April in Texas before continuing north east for the summer.  






Guadalupe National Park is about an hours drive from Carlsbad.  The RV parking is very limited and we were not sure if we would be able to find suitable parking.  We lucked out and we were able to find a space and park for the night!  There is awesome hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains.  Joel had been to the park before, but not, me  so I deferred to his expertise as to which hike we would do  in our limited time.  He suggested we hike up to the Devils Wall, a short 4 mile out and back, which we did.  The scenery was spectacular.  This is one park I would like to return to. I wished I could have spent one more day and hiked up to Guadalupe Peak, the highest peak in Texas.  Next time.


Some spectacular scenery up to the Devils Wall





There was a little arch in the distance.  I was tempted to climb up to the arch, but it was getting late.


Devils Hall is similar to some of the  slot canyons in Utah, but the rock formation is a little different and not as narrow.

Steps leading up to the slot canyon.

Arch on the way up to the Devils Hall.



 El Capitan.  It is certainly different than the El Capitan in Yosemite.


Looking back towards El Capitan.  

We headed over to the visitor center in the morning before heading out.  The park has a lot to offer and according to the ranger Spring brings an abundance of wild flowers and Fall brings lots of color. .. more incentive to return some day. We now start heading towards Big Bend National Park.  It may take a day or so as it is nearly 300 miles from Guadalupe NP.  You never know what can pop up in 300 miles and side track us!

1 comment:

  1. This is one park that I want to spend more time in too!

    ReplyDelete