Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, March 7, 2011

On to Big Bend National Park, March 5,6

We arrived in Marathon, Texas on the way to Big Bend National Park, and spent the night in a quiet neighborhood.  We walked around the little town and ventured in the Gage Hotel.  The hotel once used to be the private residence of Mr. Gage who settled in the area and owned over 600 sections of land.  He later became a sucessful busineman in San Antionio.  




No, this is not the Gage Hotel.  We had stopped in Alpine to take on water and saw this very unique RV.  What was interesting to me is that it was from Angels Camp, California.  I used to live about 20 miles form Angels camp.  Tried to fid the owner but he wasn't around.  

A time change occured and we lost an hour, so the next morning brought a late departure.  The drive towards the National Park was interesting.  I didn’t realize there were so many mountains and hills in this part of Texas. 














Once we entered into the park we had nearly 50 more miles to go before we arrived and the Rio Grande Village Camp Ground. We stopped on the first visitor center to get “oriented” .  The park is huge and there are so many hikes, back roads, and Jeep trails to explore that it will be hard to determine what to pick and chose.  We arrived at the campground and  with the help of one of the volunteer rangers we were able to find a nice spot in the campground.  
There is no cell coverage or internet coverage in the campground.  There is suppose to be wifi at the general store but it is being repaired.  So we have to drive to Chisos Mountain Lodge for internet about 30 miles up the road.  I''m posting this short blog which will have to suffice for the next 10 days or so and will add to it later.  

1 comment:

  1. I think that's the same Rv I saw in Quartzsite years ago. It's a stage and they do Their website is http://www.poundiron.com/

    ReplyDelete