Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Arch Canyon Hike, February 16

There are many arches in Organ Pipe NM, but most of them are off the beaten path.  (The photo of me on my  blog header  was taken off the beaten path in Organ Pipe several years ago. ) The most popular Arch is found off  Ajo Mountain Drive and is most visible from the road.  I had never hiked the Arch Canyon Trail during my previous visits to Organ Pipe, so decided it was about time to cross this one off the list.

The first part of the hike is fairly easy with a moderate elevation gain on a maintained trail.  The day was clear, but very, very windy. You can see the Arch from the road.  If you look very carefully, there is a second arch or window on top.




 The picture below really shows the two arches.
 The good trail follows the canyon but one loses site of the arch not vary far up the trail.  The trail  abruptly ended with a sign warning of a steep, unmaintained social trail up to the arch.  I proceeded a little way, but the wind was blowing so heavily, I was having a hard time maintaining my balance.
 I turned around and headed back.

So, you have probably noticed the Photomatix watermark on the photos.  I'm trying out a software program which allows me to layer three different exposures of the same photos to pull out the all of the colors, highlights, and contrasts and enhance as needed. It's much simpler than adobe photoshop and cheaper.  I'm still playing with it and I can also do some other enhancements.  The photo below is an example of a "painterly mode". It almost looks like a painting.   Let me know your comments.

.
So, life continues at Organ Pipe.  Joel has been working on a mapping project and hasn't been going out "buffelgrassing".  I've been continuing with the buffelgrass project but have been going out in the field  with a young recent college grad who is with Americorp/SAC, which has proved interesting..mostly because he is so knowledgeable about other projects in the monument.

Check back soon, as Joel and I and two other couples are headed out on a Jeep trip on the El Camino del Diablo.  It should be interesting.









1 comment:

  1. You might want to try out Topaz Adjust too - that's what I use. You don't have to do the 3 exposures.

    ReplyDelete