Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dar Al Islam, Abiquiu, April 13

Abiquiu is a little village about 40 miles south of Tierra Amarilla.  Just outside the little village, off a country road, and then dirt road is Dar Al Islam Mosque and Plaza Blanca.  Conlan, Gayle and I, along with several other member of the Chama Outdoor Club set out to explore this beautiful, tranquil, breathtaking area.  We were really lucky in that, Tom (friend of Gayle's, and retired New Mexico State Park Ranger) was leading our hike.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect.

Our goal was to reach the top of the mesa where there were some ruins of ancient gardens.  The views on the way were spectacular.


 Remnants of one of the ancient garden plots. Originally the gardens were sunk about two feet so water could be cached and the two foot walls would radiate solar heat.  I forgot to check what the elevation was, but I think it was close to 6,000 feet, maybe higher.  The gardens were made up of smaller plots, rather then one be garden.  It is thought they were put on the high mesa to hide them from invaders.

Notice how well the color of this horny toad matches the ground.  He almost got stepped on!

 The white structure in the middle of the picture below is the Dar Al Islam Mosque.  The Mosque is a center for learning and understanding Islam.  Dar Al means House of Islam.




 Gayle, Conlan, and Tami at the base of one of the hoodoos.



 Gayle...

 The part of the mesa is called the gallery of rocks.
 Tom, "The Man In The Maze".  Someone has formed the maze for meditation.

 Son Conlan and girlfriend Gayle.
Don't they look happy!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! You don't say anything about distance or elevation change. Could I do this?

    ReplyDelete