Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Quick trip to Tennessee, April 3-7

I haven't seen my son Jason and daughter-in-law Rhonda since June of 201l, it was about time for a visit.  Albuquerque is only about 2 1/2 drive from the ranch so I decided to fly out to Nashville, Tennessee to see Jason and Rhonda for a short visit.  I would have preferred to drive my house on wheels, but it didn't make much since due to the price of fuel.  It would have cost three or four times as much to drive as a plane ticket would have cost.

Jason and Rhonda live about an hour north of Nashville, and about six miles from the Kentucky border.....in the country on farmland. (don't know what it is about my kids and their desire to live in such rural areas). The last time I visited, their house was in the middle of corn fields.  This time the fields had not been planted, and since it was early spring, the weather was a lot nicer.

Jason and Rhonda:

House in the middle of the fields

 Nice pond in back
 Fields and trees
 Old corn crib after corn harvest.

During my visit we all decided to go to Bowling Green, Kentucky about an hours drive north and visit the Lost River Cave, where you can take a boat ride into the cave.  The Lost River Cave has an interesting story.  During prohibition it was turned into a private night club.  A big dance floor was installed at the mouth of the cave.  Sometime in the 1950s the nightclub dissolved and the cave became a dumping ground for trash until the 1980s when The Friends of the Lost River Cave, a non profit organization, started cleaning up the trash. In the early 1990's the  area was turned into a park and  boat tours were offered by the Friends of the Lost River Cave.  Today it is a fun place for families to take a picnic lunch and spend the day walking in the park and take the boat tour.


Jason and Rhonda enjoying the lost river
 Mother and Son
 We watched as one of the boats came in.  The lighting in the cave was sparse so I didn't take any pictures.
 The large dance floor at the mouth of the cave.
Area for the band
 Chandelier is still working
 Oh no, what wrong with this picture?
 Well, I can't leave out Hyde, another four legged grandchild.
The rest of my visit was spent "just hanging out" with Jason.  Rhonda is still battling multiple myaloma and gets tired easily.  She is coming up on her one year anniversary of her bone marrow/stem cell transplant and is currently undergoing a clinical trail in Nashville. It was a good visit and I hope to return sooner than later.  I returned to the ranch in Tierra Amarilla and will be there a little while longer.





1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Lost River Cave twice and taken the boat ride both times.

    ReplyDelete