Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Red Rock Country, September 18, 2015

I think one of the most beautiful drives in the South West is the stretch from the beginning of I-70 going east to Grand Junction, Colorado.  There are several view points showing off the magnificent Red Rocks. We didn't go as far as Grand Junction this time but turn south on Utah's Highway 191 towards Moab and  Monticello which is also a beautiful drive. I've been to Moab, Arches, Canyonland many times so did not stop this time and continued on to Monticello, which made for a fairly long day.  The last few stops have been less than 100 miles apart.

 From one of the view points looking south towards Moab


Some of the Red Rocks along Highway 70 in Utah.


There are several nice forest service camp grounds outside of Monticello on Harts Draw Road which provided a perfect place to park for the night. We were directly across from Dalton Campground.  Harts Draw Road continues on to the Needles District of Canyon Lands and we took a quick drive to Newspaper Rock  which is actually a State Park. We ended parking in a staging area which large enough to accommodate the Beaver. While setting up, some locals stopped by and we started up a conversation with them.  They said the area was under utilized and basically only used by locals.  Shh.  I won't tell anybody.





View from Harts Draw Overlook towards Canyonland


View towards to east and the La Sal mountains east of Moab.




We continue our journey south and our next stop with be somewhere around Dolores, Colorado. which is less than 75 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment