Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great Basin National Park, September 14-17, 2015

Great Basin NP used to be one of the most under utilized NP in the system.  Ely, Nevada is the nearest town with any services.  I stayed at Great Basin in early May of 2006 on my way to Moab and there was still snow on the ground then, and I have always wanted to go back and hike to the top of Wheeler Peak.  Back then only one campground was open and I was tent camping and I think there was only one other camper in the campground. Since then, a new visitor center has been constructed and a new camp ground has been established near Wheeler peak.  However, the road to Wheeler Peak campground advises again trailers or vehicle over 25 feet.  I guess, this remote park is getting a little more popular now that there are more sites and a nice, new visitor center.

Luck was on our side and Lower Lehman Campground had a few sites that accommodated the Beaver.  The sites in the other campgrounds were more for tent camping or truck camping.  Sites at Great Basin are a bargain at $12.00 or half price for "oldies".  

The little town of Baker which sits near the entrance to the park has a few provisions and gas but you pay dearly for them.  I paid almost $4.00 for a head of lettuce.  This place is remote.
Lehman Caves is one of the main attractions (along with the Bristle Cone Pine and Wheeler Peak)at Great Basin and a bargain at $10 for a 90 minutes tour ($5.00 if you have the "oldies" pass). There are few restrictions in taking pictures, unlike other caves I have visited.




Rain showers arrived and shrouded Wheeler Peak so I was unable to hike Wheeler Peak this time. The peak is prone to thunder and lightening, so it would not be the smartest thing to do.




 The aspens are starting to turn with signs that Fall is just around the corner.  It seems summer just started.


There are several trail that that lead through the Bristle Cone pine trees which are the oldest trees known.  However, due to the rain I didn't explore them this time, but the short nature trail at the end of Wheeler Peak road  had lots of aspen trees just starting to turn color.



Of course the sun came out the next morning, in time to leave.



We continued on Highway 50 with a quick overnight stop at Salina, Utah.











No comments:

Post a Comment