Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Twin Falls, Idaho and heading south, September 12, 2015

We have two  weeks before we need to be in Albuquerque  for the Balloon Fiesta and Joel had never traveled Highway 93 south or part of the "loneliest highway" Highway 50, which is on the way to Great Basin National Park.  We made a quick overnight stop at Twin Falls, and stayed at the Rock Creek County Park.  The park is a little tricky to get in to and there was a huge party going on so we had to unhook and Joel had to drive the Beaver down the wrong way on the one way exit while I diverted traffic.  Rock Creek is a beautiful little park with lots of bicycling and walking trails and warrants more than a quick overnight stay.  

Traveling the back roads on the way to Twin Falls we stopped at different view points of the Snake River and Falls.



Perrine Bridge which spans the Snake River is one of the main attractions in Twin Falls.  It is a very popular spot for BASE jumpers.  Apparently there are no restrictions on BASE jumping from the bridge and while I was there the BASE jumpers were quite active. Kayakers paddling the river wait and watch the jumpers before paddling under the bridge.  One side of the bride was closed to pedestrians so the jumpers were jumping only from the east side.  





 Snake River from the bridge overlook.

Kayakers are waiting for the jumpers. 
 If a jumper lands in the water they are rescued by the power boat. Note the black parachute in the middle of the picture.  It looks like he is going to land in the river, but he actually landed on the shore.
 Another jumper. This time I was able to catch the sequence of his landing.



We left Twin Falls the next morning and continued on Highway 93 with an over night stop at Cave Lake State Camp Ground (we are in Nevada now).  Unfortunately, the sites at Cave Lake SP are similar to Forest Service Campgrounds and the Beaver will not fit into any of the sites, so we ended up spending night in one of the pullouts on the way to the park.  (One more place to put on my list to explore at a later time).  

Internet connections have been terrible lately, so my blogs are not up to date.  Next stop, Great Basin National Park.  







No comments:

Post a Comment