Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Friday, October 30, 2015

Moving on, Salt River and Malpaise Wilderness, October 12, 2015

Heading back to Casa Grande on the back roads towards  the Malpaise Wilderness NM, we stopped at Ventena Natural Bridge in the monument.  Malpaise means Badlands. I was a little skeptical of the back roads, but it turned out the road was good. Ventana Natural Bridge was on the way and I snapped a few photos.  The area around the bridge is fenced off, so I wasn't able to get up close to it. 





Next we stopped  near the Salt River for a quick overnight. The Salt River Bridge was a short distance. The original bridge has been abandoned  but left in tack adjacent to the new bridge. The filming of Running  and a helicopter crash scene took place on the original bridge.  

The road was very steep and curvy in places, so much so we left very early in the morning so the Beaver would not overheat on the steep grades.  

Next we explored Show Low, with the intention of spending the night at the Elks club.  It turned out they wanted to charge the same price for dry camping as for hook ups along with a deposit, so we moved along and continued back to Casa Grande, to the SKP park accumulating more miles than normal.  The next few days were spent regrouping and preparing for our trip to Oregon.  

Lots of changes are in the future, so stay tuned.   

No comments:

Post a Comment