Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Hunter Creek Falls, Reno, March 20, 2016

With n an hours drive, Reno has an abundance of wonderful hiking trails.  Hunter Creek Falls Trail is one of my  favorite hikes and only a few minutes from my door step. ( I think I have blogged about it before so this maybe somewhat redundant).   The best time of year to hike the trail Spring or Fall. Most of the trail is in the open and exposed, so Summer hiking can be a bit of challenge unless you start out at dawn when it is cool and the sun in on the other side of the canyon.   Today the trail was perfect.  Temperatures were cool, the trail was compacted with little dust, and everything was green, but just a little too early for wild flowers.   My friend Sandi joined me.

The trail itself is about 3 miles up and up and about 3 miles down, down. I really do mean up.  It's a gradual, but up.   Today was an extremely popular day with folks hiking the trail.  I don't remember seeing so many folks heading up to the falls as we were  coming down.  The trail climbs for about 2 miles in the open and then another mile in the trees before crossing hunter creek over a trilogy of logs and then the Falls greet you immediately.  (The logs are quite a challenge for me as my balance is not what it used to be and I am thankful I have brought my hiking sticks. )

The trail leading to the falls. 


The Falls were flowing pretty fast.  I'm amazed that the log is still in the middle.  It has been there since I can remember...at least 15 years. 
Heading back down towards Reno
 Looking towards Reno in the middle of the photo.
I'll be in the area for just a few more days before flying back to Phoenix and Casa Grande.  Joel has been busy getting the new trailer ready for this summers travels. He hopes to get some minimal solar installed and new batteries as well as a solar controller and a new 3 state converter/charger.  Yes, new batteries and converter/charger.  Airstream installs cheap one stage controller/chargers which trash the batteries early on, which is a little disappointing to say the least!





  


No comments:

Post a Comment