Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 22, moving on to Kenai City

Before leaving this morning for Homer I walked down the Spit one last time.  This sun was just starting to poking through some of the clouds.




We headed out towards Kenai City.  On the way we saw a large black plume of smoke flowing straight up.  We learned a small private boat had caught on fire and and perhaps exploded.  Later we learned that five people were on board and with in minutes after sending out a distress signal all five people were picked up by the good samaritan fishing boat the "Happy Hooker".  Really!! All five were ok, but the boat is not.


The drive to Kenai was cloudy (what else is new) but we could see a lot more today than we did on the way down to Homer.

We arrived in Kenai in time to get settled for a few nights at the local Elks Club.  Liz didn't really like her view as much here as did in Seward and Homer.



Later we went down towards the water front to watch dip netting.  I have never seen such a specticle.  There were hundreds of fishermen on the shore dipping huge hand held nets in the surf and coming up with Salmon. I'm told  only the residents of Alaska can participate in net dipping and it is part of the subsistence program.  The dip netting is only allowed for a few weeks and there is a limit on the amount they can net.







No comments:

Post a Comment