Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, August 2, 2010

July 23, More on the Kenai



Today was a site seeing day with some sun.. Yes!! We traveled up to Captain Cook State Park to check out the camp grounds.  Its a really nice park close to miles of muddy beaches.  I had been told you could find jade and agates on the beach and I found several treasures which I left behind for others to enjoy.









We had taken a picnic lunch and traveled over to Kenai Landing which was an old cannery that had been converted to shops.  It was windy and cold and we ended up eating behind the old cannery which faced the boat launch.  We watched the boats come and go quickly. ....almost every five minutes.  The cannery conversion has not quit taken off and there was only one shop open.








We say this on the way to the State Park.  Look closely and you can see the dock is actually the hull of an old ship.  See the cars parked on it?  The road goes right up to the hull.

We returned to Kenai and walked around "old town" which is just a few blocks longs.  Most of the older buildings are permanent residences and the old Russian Orthodox church was not open.  Apparently all of the artifacts had been moved out and put in storage.







One of the more modern buildings in Kenai (lol)



This is one of the popular eating places in old town. 



                                         This was a cool clock in the newer park.

Tomorrow we head back to Anchorage on the Sterling Highway.  Our objective is to make a   "Costco run",  and groceries and gas and then take the Glenn Highway to Palmer. I doubt that we will make it to Palmer, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment