Organ Pipe National Park

Organ Pipe National Park

About Me

I purchased "Sadie''s House On Wheels "in late 2007 and loved traveling in a motor home so much that I went on the road full time in late 2008. I started writing this blog to help me remember all the wonder places I have been and it allows me to share those places with my family and friends. Summer of 2013 I decided to hang up the keys for a while and moved back into my stick house. After nearly two years, I am on the road again.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Boca Reservoir, Truckee 5/31-6/4

BOCA




You may have heard about the California draught.  It is real.  This is Boca, near Truckee, one of my favorite places to camp and kayak.  In normal years water is up to the tree line in the top photo. Now the water is so low you can walk across the river that is flowing into the dam.  I dug out the mountain bike and rode almost the whole length of the reservoir.  Tara loves running with me while I am on the bike.

We camped here for three nights before heading to Fresno.  The Forest Service has taken the campground back from California Land Management, aka as Tahoe Recreation so the fees have dropped down to $20.  Now it is $10 with the "Senior Pass".  I think this is a 20% drop in price, as I believe the fees were approaching $25.00  plus last year.  Stampede and several other campground along the 89 corridor are now under the Forest Service instead of concessionaires, which in my mind is a good thing.  Maybe with the fee drop more young families will be able to afford to go camping.  We had the whole campground to ourselves.  Very Quiet. Very Clean.

While we were at Boca, we drove over to Tahoe City to see our friend Bill and Diane who are Campground Hosts at William Kent Campground.  It's been over 15 years since I camped there and what a change. Lots of improvements and a much larger camp ground.  However, it is still in the middle of a residential area and run by CLM. $27.00 for tent camping with no showers?  NOT.

We did tour Tahoe City and had lunch at Garwood, the local tourist-trap/hangout-on-the-lake. The views were outstanding but the food.....eh. ($19.00 for two average fish tacos is a little on the high side don't you think?) Their Wet Woodies are still good though. We had a great visit with Bill and Diane and will see them back at the Skip Park in Casa Grande this winter.






No comments:

Post a Comment